Re: Primary inductance vs. coupling

In a message dated 12/3/01 7:02:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Would a higher primary inductance allow much tighter coupling without
> overcoupling? My logic is that the RLC primary although it will ring at the
> same freq with a smaller cap and a larger inductor than previously it will
> take longer for the primary circuit to ring down, thus allowing a slightly
> slower rise in the secondary, allowing tighter coupling... or not :o)

Jason,

I don't think there's anything about a higher primary inductance that
permits tighter coupling for a given bang size.  If there is, I can't think
of it.

> Also in case anyone's interested I am consistently finding that with higher
> breakrates I can increase the coupling... has anyone else noticed this?
> John, I believe you said something about this at one point...

Yes, I have spoken about this.  It's because as you raise the breakrate,
the bang size usually decreases, unless you have a very stiff supply.
As the bang size decreases, tighter couplings are tolerated before
racing sparks occur.  Perhaps there are other causes too.

Cheers,
John