Re: Horizontal TCs?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/6/01 7:44:57 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Although possible, usually as twin coils in the shape of two Tesla
>  coils back-to-back, this is uncommon. Are you sure that you are not
>  thinking in an induction coil?

Antonio and Patrick,
I just spent almost a year playing with the 1/2 wave bipolar as Patrick
describes.
This is the center-fed bipolar with the spark coming off of rabbit ear
antennas
at the ends of the coil. It is not an induction coil. It is electrically
identical to the twin
bipolar you describe. Only the geometry is different. I am building a twin
bipolar now.
Matter of fact, it's giving me 60 inches of white hot spark. The equations
for tuning the twin
coil are the same as for the horizontal 1/2 wave bipolar.

The circuit is the same as for any TC with Cp across the NST secondary, the
SG in
series with the primary, and the return to the other side of the NST sec and
the other side
of Cp. I'll post the specs when I get the pictures.

The first bipolar coil I made was 24 inches long and it produced a 24 inch
spark between antenna ends. Naturally, I wanted something larger so I built a
48 inch coil with the goal
of getting a spark longer than the distance between the two ends of the coil.
As soon as I get the pictures back from the drugstore I am going to post on
this
coil. The subject will be My Bipolar Disorder. Waiting for the pictures.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman