Re: RQ gap spacing theory question

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 12/07/01 8:42 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>

> Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
>>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> On 3 Dec 2001, at 21:12, Tesla list wrote:
>>
>>> Original poster: "pjj by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>> <jjenkins-at-satx.rr-dot-com>
>>>
>>> Lately we have been talking about plasma acs and the resistance of a
>> channel of
>>> ionized air.
>>>
>>> The question i pose is how is the summ of all the gaps EQUAL to the
> total gap
>>> it seams to me once the 1st gap of 50 thousandths or so was broken down
> that
>>> channel stays open and the next it there for just another .050" or am i
> think
>>> outa line here.
>>>
>>> In short i'm thinking the electrons are just leap froging from one to
> another
>>> only gapping one at a time till all are crossed then it discharges the
>> cap and
>>> quenches all and starts over
>>
>> Without any attempt at sub-nS analysis, it is probable that the gaps
>> start conducting in a cascade fashion as you suggest. Within a very
>> short time, all conduct simultaneously to complete a high-current
>> path. There is a conduction voltage drop associated with each gap,
>> much like the forward drop in a diode.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Malcolm
>

> This is the theory behind my high current gap, trigger one set of
> paralleled gap faces and then allow the choice of the current as to
> weather the other gaps are used.
> Marc

THE PROCESS IS NOT A LEAP FROG ACTION. THE ACTION IS SEQUENTIAL AND
CONTINIOUS AS ONE GAP FIRES AND THEN ANOTHER. THE GAP RESISTANCE DROPS TO
NEAR ZERO, AND CONTINUES TO CONDUCT AS ANOTHER GAP FIRES IN FEW U-SECONDS
ALL GAPS ARE CONDUCTING. AFTER THE SUPPLY VOLTAGE AND CURRENT DROPS TO A
LOW THE TOTAL ASSEMBLY THEN QUENCHES CONDUCTION. IF POWER IS RESUMED BEFORE
THE ION CLOUD DISIPATES CONDUCTION WILL RESUME. THAT IS WHY SOME FORM OF
SERIES REACTIANCE IS REQUIRED TO STOP CONDUCTION AND AVOID A POWER ARC.THIS
ACTION CAN BE PHOTOGRAPHED WITH A HIGH SPEED STREAK CAMERA AND IS NOT
THEORY. THE STARTING POINT MAY BE RANDOM, BUT THE ACTION IS SEQUENTIAL AND
REPEATABLE.
    ROBERT  H
       PS. ALL THAT IS BLACK IS NOT CARBON. CUPRIC OXIDE AND BASALT ROCKS
CONTAIN NO CARBON, BUT ARE BLACK.