Pole transformer advice

Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

I just picked up my 10 KVA pole transformer and I have some advice on how to
obtain these in today's "sue anybody for anything" environment. First of all,
when requesting a quote, NEVER mention the phrase "tesla coil". You need to
have a "story" about why you need one of these things. I had one, but I don't
want to reveal it because I might need it again. It is highly unusual for these
transformer companies to be selling to an individual and it definitely alerts
them when one of these request for quotes comes in.

If you are a young person (e.g. teenager) never reveal any information that
would indicate your age. I am not (far from it) but I found this out as I was
talking to the salesman from the transformer company.

When you request a quote, know what you are talking about. Don't request
something like "I need a pole pig". Use specifics such as "I need a 10 KVA pole
transformer, 2 bushings, no taps, 120/240 volts out, 14400 volts in". It is
still possible to buy these things if the right words are used.

Steve: Coiling in Iowa