Re: VTTC operation, questions

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All!

    My tank supply is taking shape slowly.  The 10kv3A full-wave rectifier
is nearly completed, and I'm eyeballing some large filtering caps for it.
My supply of MOT's is slowly increasing (man I can't wait to go scrounge
after xmas).

  I am digging for the radio amateurs handbooks, from the 50's and up.  Flea
markets are plentiful around here, and by striking up a conversation about
ham radio with some booth owners, they usually guide me right to the correct
places to look for the books.  I've yet to find one in decent shape (2 in
horrid, missing chapters and whatnot, the other had gotten coffee or tea on
it, stained & unreadable).  But I have patience.

   I have all the stats for the 833 and a ton of other tubes on CD, so no
worries there.  With a total of 4 833's I'll be a bit above legal (okay,
waaaay illegal) power levels, so I'll keep an eye out for that non-descript
van circling the block.  But I'm thankful that VTTC's are pretty shoddy
antennas when sparking.  I can usually run mine with minimal interference in
the garage and barely any RFI, no TVI, in the house.   I plan on using my
signal gen for tuning and testing, but ultimately I'm wanting frequency,
duty cycle, and amplitude modulation (full control of the output).  A
regular transmitter, come to think of it.

   For the moment, it's a pretty quiet project.  Lots of learning, getting
the foundation for the coil built (secondary, primary, power supply), etc.
Once I gather all the parts and start building the various stages, everybody
will hear a lot more from me.  Probably along the lines of "The tube-based
Magic Smoke Machine" ;)  Many thanks to those that have contributed
knowledge and suggestions so far, and I look forward to picking the List's
collective brain!

   As always, questions, comments, criticism, and snide remarks are welcome!

Shad