Re: topload (weight critical) for multi coil setup

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/10/01 11:46:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Terry,
> >
> >Interesting, the address of Michael Gordon Ltd. is probably less than a mile
>
> >from my business location.  I should stop in and talk to them.  What do they
>
> >sell?  Is it stainless steel spheres?  For what application (other than
> >toploads)?  Are they some kind of ornamental object for the garden?
> >
> >Ed Sonderman
> >

> They make (or import) large stainless steel spheres (mirror balls) that are
> used to decorate gardens along with other garden accents.  These spheres
> make perfect high voltage spheres and they are very cheap compared to what
> Ross Engineering or someplace like that would charge.  Here is the one I got:
>

> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2001-04/Orb.jpg
>
> It's a 20 inch diameter mirror polished stainless steel sphere for $130
> new.  This Michael Gordon place apparently distributes them to garden
> shops.  If they make them there in Washington, the factory would be real
> cool to see.  It may just be a warehouse and an office where they ship out
> product from overseas to US destinations.  They may have a showroom or
> something too.  They have a website but nothing there yet:
>
> http://www.michaelgordonltd-dot-com/
>
> Their stuff is at:
>
> http://www.classicgardens-dot-com/gordon.html
> http://www.waterscapesweb-dot-com/orbs.html
>
> There are "gazing balls" which come in all kinds of pretty colors but I am
> not sure if they are conductive or would stand up to high voltage arcing.
> The "mirror balls" are thin stainless steel.  It would be interesting if
> you could chat with them about how these things are made.  See if they have
> toroids :-))  Maybe if we could convince gardeners that big toroids are far
> cooler than spheres :-)))
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Terry

Terry,

I went over to visit Michael Gordon today.  It is a large warehouse operation.
The girl in the office showed me some of the gazing balls.  They have them all
made in bare stainless steel and then have some of them painted.  It is paint
v.s. some kind of chmical etch color, so the colored balls would not work too
well for toploads.  Their main manufacturing plant is in China.  This facility
is primarily wholesale, however they are having an open to the public sale this
Friday (12-14-01).  I will go over and take a look around.  She said their
primary customers are garden supply shops and warehouse stores like Home Depot,
etc.

Ed Sonderman