RE: new to the hobby

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Chris:

The capacitance variance or tolerance is not really important, as it can be
compensated for in the primary coil, as long as it doesn't vary with time.

Home made capacitors for Tesla coils are now rarely made from rolled
plastic, as this is construction is very labor-intensive, bulky, and nearly
always eventually fails.  While most literature more than a couple of years
old discuss rolled plastic caps, most hobbyists now use MMC's.  Please look
through the Pupman-dot-com archives for more information that you probably want
about MMC's.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA