MOT charging reactor PS

Original poster: "Wells Campbell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com>

Greg, Steve, all,

I am in the midst of gathering materials for a small (for now) DC coil
of the ilk that is being built by a few, and just wanted to update, and
shoot out some ideas that i have come up with...

Greg H. has been kind enough to shoot me a couple of schematics, and
I have been cobbling together schema and testing at low power with scrounged
parts. well, yesterday, I received my order of 51 diodes for a buck per,
and in a fit of excitement, immediately constructed 2 plexi "sticks"
with 5 each in series, and an arrangement with four sets of two each
in series, with brass bolts at each junction, effectively rendering four
diodes in series, with a terminal at each junction:

(terminals)
|          |         |         |         |
|          |         |         |         |
|====|>|===|===|>|===|===|>|===|===|>|===|
(diodes)

 I have found that this arrangement can be used in many different circuits,
including full wave bridges, doublers, etc.  I wnat mine to be very
reconfigurable.

As for the reactor, I havent gotten that far yet, but I had an idea that
might be of use, especially in light of steve's last mail: I was thinking
of taking two MOT's of matching geometries, cutting the welds, and using
the  two E sections, facing each other, and with a gap, and loading on
two, three, or maybe four secondaries in series:

---------------
---------------
|||   |||   |||
|||   |||   |||
|||   |||   |||

|||   |||   |||
|||   |||   |||
|||   |||   |||
---------------
---------------

 At least three  MOT secondaries  would fit in such an arrangement, maybe
four. I took apart a little one the other day, and it was fairly easy.
in fact, my biggest problem was that the E section basically fell apart
into sheets, I need to be careful dremelling the welds off and leave
the bead on the E side. The secondaries could be insulated with extra
material, and the gap adjustable, maybe. Just a thought at present.

Does anyone know a quick and dirty method for measuring inductance with
a multimeter?

--
Wells Campbell
wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com - email