From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 11:28 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: TSG construction article

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

> Jonathan:
> There have been several postings regarding the placement of the resistors
in
> the triggered-gap schematic. Let me review them again. Originally, based
on
> Marc's input to me, the resistors were across the 120V. When I powered the
> system, both resistors became incredibly hot.
> After discussing the situation with Terry on an emergency basis (Marc was
> unavailable and I was desparate due to a very tight schedule) it was
decided
> to move them between the dimmer output and the HEI input, in series on the
> HOT line. This worked just fine for my requirements although it does seem
> restrict the range of the dimmer control. But, again, the gap fires and my
> coil ran perfectly throughout the heavy duty cycle of this year's haunted
> house.
>
> I have made the changes to the schematic. I merely have to distill the
> diagram to a new PDF and e-mail it to Terry for him to post it. But my
time
> at home still gets away from me and so for that I apologize. I will move
the
> task to the front burner and advise all when it has been accomplished.
>
> In the meantime, simply move the two paralleled resistors as indicated
above
> and you'll have no problem. No other changes were required.
>
> Safety First
> Ted

1. I never could see any reason for those resistors, particularly placed
across the line where all they do is use up power and get hot.

2. I still see no reason to use them in series.  The only possible good
they could do would be to limit the peak line current spikes.

Ed