Re: rebar - Re: a VERY cheap way to make BIG toroids

Original poster: "Nick Andrews by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nicothefabulous-at-hotmail-dot-com>

You are right, rebar is quite inexpensive.  It can be purchased in (usually)
20ft lengths at most lumberyards.  It is sold in sizes from #3 on up, the
size corresponding to 1/8" diameter.  Thus, #3 rebar is 3/8" diameter.  You
probably won't find the stainless laying around anywhere, though.  It's used
in special situations where corrosion resistance is a major issue.  Much
more commonly used, especially in bridges abd other structures, is the green
epoxy-coated bar.  It is, in turn, tied together with epoxy-coated wire.
Most housing foundations and driveways will be using regular uncoated
mild-steel rebar.  Scrap should be easy to find anywhere a house foundation
or driveway is going in.

Another possible alternative, if you want the stainless, is a steel
distributor.  A friend of mine works for one here in Denver.  I got some
stainless tubing and rod from their scrap bin for nothing to use for JL
electrodes and such.  I forget, has anyone used stainless rod in a spark
gap?

Nick Andrews
Denver, CO, USA

http://photos.msn-dot-com/support/worldwide.aspx