Re: TSG with DC?

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

> Mike,
>
> Yes, timing can be whatever you want.  But how do you get the gap to
> extinguish?  DC obviously doesn't have a zero crossing to stop gap
> conduction, so you have to quench it some other way.  You can have a power
> supply that "folds back" to zero when the gap fires - not an easy thing to
> design.  I think Marco's 10 KV output switching power supply may behave that
> way.  Or perhaps a strong blast of air will "blow out" the gap plasma.  I
> have yet to try a TSG with my DC powered TC.  If others have, please share
> your results.
>
> --Steve

Steve, All
the gap spacing and air speed become the deciding factor at were the
tank current shuts the gap down.
It's really cool running the speed up from 50 to 600 bps then back
again!

There are just as many variables involved with the tsg as there may be
with a rotary, for say.
gap spacing to tank energy. to air speed too trigger arc plasma stream
strength\direction, dwell.
But the nice thing is that the stsg works from the $15 - $20 range on,
on to what is yet to be seen, but on none the less.
As one starts playing with, and looking at the triggered gap, they start
to understand how it works under a run condition. (In fact i think a
variable air speed would be nice, just idle thinking but some might
hear)
It is a hv switch, maybe one of the best to date for what a coiler
wants? but a hv switch that is controlled. If it is watched through #13
welding lens you can start to see the massive changes that happen with
small adjustments.
This is why i want to go back too dc, then he "little" things can be
explored.
Take care, All
Marc M.
Take care