RE: TSG construction article

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Hello Ted and Ed,

As I understood it, the resisters across the output of the dimmer keep the
triac turned on during the time that the current is building up in the coil
primary.  The low resistance kept the jitter and noise in the circuit down.
The problem with the inductive load is that the triac can turn off due to
lack of holding current (while the inductor current is building) and on
again.  When this happens many times in succession during each half cycle,
the triac burns out.

http://www.epanorama-dot-net/documents/lights/lightdimmer.html#inductive
has some information on dimmers.

I remember a site that had a modified dimmer with an extra triac to keep
voltage on the gate of the power triac to avoid the above problem in driving
an inductive load, but I can't find it.

Regards,

Pete Komen