Re: photocopier transformers

Original poster: "Daniel Hess by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhess1-at-us.ibm-dot-com>

I have 3 of these devices, all from an old IBM Copier II. One is 5.3 Kv, a
7.5 Kv and a 15 Kv (all DC). These are 'electronic' power supplies in that
there is a pcb with electronics as well as a transformer. When I arc the
output to ground, I can hear a toroid coil spooling up just before it
fires, similar to the sound a photo strobe makes as it's charging up.

The smaller the gap the faster they fire as it takes less time to charge up
to the voltage necessary to ionize the gap and fire. (but I can get a good
inch out of the 15 Kv.)

Not sure how well these power supplies would stand up in Tesla duty as
their electronics may not be robust enough for Tesla coiling. I'd like to
play with the 15 Kv as a one-shot power supply for testing but so many
projects, so little time.

Daniel

"Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 12/19/2001 09:14:28 AM