Re: DC Reactor Setup - don't do this!

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Marc, see below:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: DC Reactor Setup - don't do this!

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
<snip>
The result is that the arc across the
> > charging gap starts to draw out longer as the RSG RPM goes up.  As RPM
> > increases, eventually the arc is drawn out long enough that the
discharge
> > gap presentation occurs while there is still a charging gap arc.  ZAP!
The
> > DC supply now power arcs through both gaps.  In my setup, this happened
at
> > about 175 BPS at full power.  Reducing the power doesn't gain much
higher
> > BPS without power arcs.
> >
> > So the method is fine if you enjoy wimpy gas burner style streamers, but
> > total failure for the more interesting high BPS robust streamers.
>
> Have you tried an air stream on the electrode position area?

Marc,

No, and I won't.  The reason the arc is drawn out is because the tank cap is
still charging.  The air blast would just prematurely end the charging of
the tank cap, resulting in even more wimpy or no performance.  One needs to
have the tank cap charge up to the entire time between discharges in order
to use higher BPS.  The whole concept of SPDT DC resonant charging is
flawed.

--Steve