Re: re:questions about a MOT ps

Original poster: "Tom Stathes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <newphreak_16-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Terry,

> Hi Tom,
>
> Is the rotary gap a "sync" gap.

I do not know what type of motor this is, all i can
say about it is it came from an old microwave, it is
the same type as used in overhead projectors.  It's
the type with a single coil looks kinda like this
It may be a sync, the spark it makes is knda wimpy
compared to a static gap, much dimmer and not as loud.

 | |==========
ccccc       | |
ccccc       ooo
ccccc      ooooo
ccccc       ooo
ccccc       | |
 | |==========

where "c" is the coil, "o" s the rotor, and the || and
==== is transformer type core material

> I would not change the safety gap setting.  You
> might tell us what it is?

I set it by puting it alone across my supply and
closing the cap just enough to make it arc, then i
backed it off a little so it would not fire, dont know
the exact spacing.

> Changing safety gaps setting is the last thing you
> want to do since that is
> usually how people start blowing stuff up.

Im gonna try shifting the motor as u said and see how
that works.

Thanks
--Tom