L/C Meter

Original poster: "Steve Greenfield by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alienrelics-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Just wanted to pass on a recommendation for a piece of
test equipment.

I just bought a kit today, it is an L/C meter. It was
a construction article in Nuts and Volts magazine a
few years ago, this is an updated version, the LC
Meter IIB.

It has a max resolution of .01pf and 1nH and measures
a max of 1.5uF and 150mH. It has an LCD display, auto
calibration and zeroing. The calibration uses a couple
of caps hand selected for each kit so they are within
0.5% tolerance. Uses a PIC microcontroller and one
other IC.

It is meant for nonpolarized capacitors, not much of a
limitation IMHO. I have a cap meter already that I
made with a couple of 555's that uses my digital meter
for a display, I can continue to use it for larger
caps and polarized caps. Measuring exact capacitance
is pretty much meaningless for 99.9999% purposes above
10uF.

It took me about a half hour to put it together, and
that was with interruptions. The gentleman who makes
it lives about a half an hour from here, so I just
called him last night and went over earlier today and
picked one of the kits up for $99.95 (plus tax, since
we're both in WA state). You can buy it assembled for
$129.95.

http://www.aade-dot-com/lcmeter.htm

I have no connection with Almost All Digital, I'm just
a happy customer.

Just make sure you discharge those caps before testing!

=====
Steve Greenfield               // Digital photo scanning, retouching,
Polymorph Digital Photography // and photomorphing to your specs.
253/879-0426 voice           // We use the best little computer in
polymorph-at-polyphoto-dot-com     // the world, the Amiga!
http://www.polyphoto-dot-com/  // Based in Tacoma, WA, USA