Re: Undesired "effect" with saltwater caps

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Chris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<chris-at-atomic-pc-dot-com>

> water, and covered up any sharp
> edges or points on the outsides with several layers of electrical tape.  I
> know elec. tape won't hold up at
> really high voltages, but do you think it will be just enough to prevent
> the arcing? (maybe like 5 layers)

I posted before about a better solution then aluminum foil in another
post, but for information sake:
3M supper 33+ electrical tape is rated at 600v per layer (which i found
to be conservative), stand off voltage.
Also, "raychem" makes a 2" wide, white, pvc tape that is used in the
"heat trace" industry to cover the seams of pvc pipe jacket. This is 6
mil's thick and stretch's nicely to shapes. I've tested the pierce
voltage of one layer up too 8kv consistently  (a single pulse triggered
gap with variable dc charging circuit makes a great pierce voltage
tester for dielectric) (but remember that it is mostly the corona at the
edges that burn through our hawg caps)
Keep up the good work and take care,
Marc M.