Re: Another question

Original poster: "David L Wilson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daveandcynthia-at-juno-dot-com>

I, too, have noticed that the arcs appearing along surfaces (such as the
outside of my salt water capacitors) are much longer than regular arcs
through the air.  A six inch surface arc could often be produced by the
same amount of voltage needed to throw a 1/2 inch spark in the air.

The "extra induction" that you refer to could also possibly be some
resonant action that is taking place between the tank capacitor and the
secondary of the input transformer and/or ballast.  It is possible to
have a combination that resonates at very near the line frequency,
although I have never experienced this.

Merry Christmas,

Joshua Wilson