Re: Secondary Coil Problems

Hi Nolan,

The "little" shocks from the secondary are apparently from a piezoelectric
effect in the coil's insulation.  Even if you were to completely discharge
it, it will recharge again.  I sometimes just rub my hands over the
secondary to sort of "get it over with".  That drains most of the charge
but a little still comes back.  A damp towel would probably do it but that
gets the coil wet so you can't run it again for awhile.  I guess most of us
just live with it.  It does show the coil is basically wroking well.

Primary to secondary arc over is not a coupling problem.  Racing arcs that
go up and down the secondary are caused by over coupling.  In your case,
there does not seem to be enough clearance between the primary and
secondary (.9 inch).  I would try wrapping the bottom of the secondary with
plastic sheeting or some other insulator.  That should fix it.  My coils
have 1 inch spacing and I don't get arc over, so I am a bit surprised that
your coil is arcing.  Be sure there are no sharp edges that would tend to
promote arcing.  Also be sure the bottom of the secondary is well grounded.
 Preferably with a thick wire going a short distance to a ground rod.
Maybe the base of the coil is going to high voltage.  Your 7.5kV
transformer really should not be arcing this distance.  But in any case,
the plastic insulation should fix it.

The turns on a coil, I start at the beginning of the wire and when I make
one circle around to get back to the beginning that is one turn.

Your coil is powered by a 450 Watt transformer (7500 x 0.060).  The formula
for best case arc length is:

in = 1.7 x SQRT (power) so   1.7 x SQRT (450) = 36 inches.  That is if
everything is absolutely perfect.  Your 13 inch coil is probably too short
to get that far before the arcs hit the primary and such but there is
plenty of room for improvement.  Your larger coils should get there.

Your cap size is perfect and everything else sounds good from a casual
glance.  I would search around and tap it for the longerst arcs.  That will
be easy once you get the arcing fixed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

	Terry