Re: power factor correction for NST

Hi,

In normal neon use, these transformers may only operate at roughly 450VA.  In
Tesla coil use with caps they easily get to the full 900 VA and beyond.

 From there, the spark gap and other losses can eat up maybe 50% of a coil's
power.  But the rest finally makes it to the streamers.  Using the right size
caps helps insure you get the maximum efficiency possible which is about 75%.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MMCcapSales.gif

Tuning and such has a dramatic effect too.  There is not too much you can do
about gap losses other than use a good well proven gap like a sync rotary (or
TSG) but just get it tuned right with the right caps and your coil will do
fine.

Cheers,

        Terry