Re: power factor correction for NST

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Neil Richardson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <neil-at-opticalrealities-dot-com>

> NSTs are 50% efficient, and thats the reason. I believe it is the same with
> all older NSTs.

	Woops!  No way - if this were true they'd all burn up; the "lost poper"
would show up in the form of heat!  There seems to be some confusion due
to the use of magnetic shunts to increase the leakage reactance and
provide current limiting.  I have measured the total effective
resistance of a typical 12 kV, 60 ma transformer and find it to be about
6000 ohms.  At a load current of 60 ma that corresponds to about 22
watts loss, to which must be added the core loss, which may be another
50 watts at most, giving a total loss of perhaps 75 watts.  The power
output will depend on the type of load, but with a resistive load which
gives maximum output power (resistance = leakage reactance) the power
output would be 360 watts, for a new efficiency of about 83%.

Ed