Re: Checking M.O. diodes

Original poster: "Mike Harrison by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mike-at-whitewing.co.uk>

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:13:38 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

>Hello coilers,
>
>Anyone have a proven method for checking microwave oven diodes?
>My VOM, even on its highest ohms scale, won't show continuity
>in one direction as it does on "ordinary" (1N4007) type diodes.
>I tried measuring a known good diode, but no luck there either.

HV diodes like this consist of many series diodes internally, so their
voltage drop will be several volts, which is why your VOM won't show
continuity.
You need to use a supply voltage higher than the voltage drop, and a
voltmeter - I'm  not sure what the drop is for MO diodes, but a 12v
supply would be a good start.