Re: Spark Dissipation

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

> Are you speaking of disruptive coils above?  If so,
> I think I remember a test that Malcolm did at low power, where
> he ran a disruptive TC at various break rates from 1bps, up to
> hundreds of bps.  I think the sparks were much longer at high
> bps, than in single shot mode.  The bang size was constant
> as far as I know.  My memory of this might not be perfect though?

Yes, I think that i remember these experiments. Note, however,
that the sparks were observed at "steady state", and the rule
of more power = longer sparks is clearly valid in this condition.
With just two breaks one after the other probably the difference
is too small to be clearly observed. There are many variables
to allow clear conclusions. A difference in temperature or humidity
in the air, or just a grain of dust in the terminal, can make
dramatic changes in the outcome of these experiments.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz