Re: Merging copper tubing for Primaries

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/3/01 12:14:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> In a message dated 2/3/01 10:02:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >      On my first coil, I had to merge two 50' rolls of 0.25" copper
> tubing
> in
> >  order to amount to the right length for my primary.  I simply cut a
> piece
> of
> >  wire (six gauge I think?) that formed a tight friction fit inside the
> tubing
> >  in order to join the two rolls.  I am making a new primary, and I am
> >  wondering if I should solder the rolls together instead.  I plan to use
> wire
> >  to join them again, and maybe solder ontop of that joint, but I do not
> know
> >  what to do.  I know my soldering iron will never complete the job.  Any
> >  suggestions?  Is it necessary?  Should I buy a propane torch ...?  What
> >  would be the best for me to do while I build my primary?  Thanks you in
> >  advance for any and all help.
> >
> >      Bart Mc.

Hi Bart

With all that you will be spending on coiling, I believe that a propane torch
at ~$18 is a great investment. One cylinder should last a year or more, even
if you also use it for ===> making Plumbing Repairs. You can also get smaller
butane soldering torches for about half that price from RS, but they may not
have enough heat for a larger job. This is NOT the only time you will need to
do soldering in your TCer life.

Matt D.