Re: NST resonance

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Jan,
        A way of investigating the interaction between the NST and a
capacitance hooked to its secondary is to short the primary (it is
normally connected to a voltage source) and use a high impedance
generator shunting the secondary and caps with a scope also hooked
across it. You should see the different resonances occurring then.
You are right about the NST not being a well behaved animal. It is
designed to be a constant current source. Measuring transformers of
any kind with a scope and sig gen is an exercise fraught with
difficulties and traps and you have to be aware of these in order to
apply the correct techniques for the transformer you wish to measure.
The most insidious problem that will cause trouble is distributed
capacitances in the windings giving resonances and false readings,
particularly if the windings are unloaded. Even "ideal" transformers
with no airgaps/shunts in the core will give false readings. To
measure the turns ratio for such a transformer the most reliable
technique I use is to connect a very low Z sig gen across the entire
winding with the most turns and measure the voltage across those with
the least turns. The generator effectively shunts the high
capacitances that can be present in the high-turns windings.

Regards,
malcolm