Re: Spark length, SSTC vs. spark gap

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Gary,
         I think your note sums up the various conundrums about power
vs spark length well. It is theoretically possible to generate
extremely long sparks using a very low average power input. Your
approach performs that sort of trick. It seems to me that there is a
need for a list of definitions so that in discussing length/power, we
can refer to a specific set of parameters. For example, huge sparks
could be generated by the ringing-up approach (given a suitable
topload) but for a limited power input could occur at a rate of just
a few per second. Another case is a gap driven coil producing sparks
at say 200BPS so that they appear continuous to the eye. Perhaps it
is all a matter of perception and expectation.

On 8 Feb 01, at 16:55, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]
> correction each time and have a formula expressed in average power, I
> just use 0.17 times the square root of apparent power VI for spark
> length.
>
> For my base driven coil, voltage stays fairly constant and current
> rings up over many cycles, maybe 500 to 2000 microseconds, until the
> spark occurs. The apparent power builds also. I get a screen of 50
> microseconds length just before the spark occurs, read off the rms
> voltage and current, and call the product the peak apparent power.
> Another word besides peak might be better since peak power might imply
> peak voltaqe and peak current, which is not the case here. Anyhow, if
> one uses enough words, the meaning of peak apparent power should be
> understandable.
>
> A spark gap coil will build up power much more quickly than a solid
> state coil. The spark may occur within 2 to 5 rf cycles, or within 10
> to 25 microseconds for a 200 kHz systems. Once the spark occurs, power
> decreases rapidly. Richie Burnett has a waveform on his web site that
> shows this effect. If a spark does not occur, power sloshes back and
> forth between primary and secondary, but when it does, dissipation is
> rapid.
>
> I believe that if we were able to measure the apparent power in John
> Freau's secondary, we would see a peak about 100 times his wallplug
> watts. The power in the secondary would rise to this peak in a few
> tens of microseconds, stay there for a similar length of time while
> the spark was present, then decay to a lower value for a few hundred
> microseconds, and go to zero until the next spark, 8333 microseconds
> later for a 120 bps spark gap. There are many curves of power
> variation that would satisfy the observation of the peak being 100
> times the average.
>
> The peak power establishes the length of the spark. The power that
> flows into the spark after the peak establishes the thickness of the
> spark. In my solid state system, at a particular voltage it might take
> 1 ms for a spark to occur. A 2 ms burst will produce a thin spark. A
> 10 ms burst will produce a white, rich spark that looks similar to a
> spark gap coil spark. A 100 ms burst will produce a spark with a very
> thick trunk for one third to two thirds of total length, say 1 inch
> thick for a 10 inch spark.

> There is a hypothesis among coilers that ions remaining in the air
> after the previous spark will help the next spark to grow to a greater
> length. I have looked carefully for that effect and have been unable
> to see it. Ions will help the next spark start, but this reduces the
> peak apparent power and reduces the spark length. In CW mode, the peak
> power is just the average power, and sparks are shorter than in the
> disruptive mode, where the peak power can grow to a larger value.
> Neither the case of several short bursts closely spaced nor a longer
> single burst will increase the length of a spark.

I'm not too sure about the ions as such but I certainly buy that the
hot air channel helps. Perhaps it's the same thing. It's easy to
demonstrate - just start out your NST coil with fixed static gap by
slowly turning the variac up. It first fires very slowly with sparks
of some length (which depends on a bunch of parameters - of course!)
but then as you continue to crank it up, the sparks coalesce and grow
progressively longer, the only thing changing to any great degree
being the breakrate. In fact I was amused to see my work coil visibly
reaching out and connecting with objects a few feet away in real
time, quite slow enough for the eye to follow. I have also seen such
growth on a tabletop coil running about 150W.

Regards,
Malcolm