Re: [Fwd: Spark gap not firing]

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<ludev-at-videotron.ca>

> Hi Terry, list,
>
> I'm in the process of designing a power supply and I try to find a formula to
> create a RC low pass filter (Terry NST filter protection ) I look at your
> paper,
> on the web, I remember I read about it in the past but were ? I know if you
> change the value of R and C you change at what frequency the filter start
> to cut
> and how fast the db cut rise with the frequency. I could apply your value
but I
> like to understand what I do . Can you help me to find the formula or if my
> memory is good the graph to calculated it ?
>
> Luc Benard

	The expression for the half-power cutoff frequency of a low pass RC
filter is simply

	Fc = 1/(2*pi*R*C)

where Fc is in Hz at which the output voltage/input voltage ratio is
0.707 [1/sqrt(2)] , R is in ohms, and C is in farads.  This applies to
the simplified case of a filter between a zero-impedance source and an
infinite impedance load. In the case of such a filter inserted between a
TC primary circuit and a transformer, things may not be quite so simple.

Ed