Re: RSG sweet-spot

In a message dated 2/11/01 1:14:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> G'day List,
>
>  Could somebody please tell me a simple way to set a SRSG to its "sweet
spot"
>  apart from repeated trial and error, rotating motor cradle etc.?
>  Also, I have ground flats (4) on the rotor of the motor, but when I tested
> it,
>  it throbbed with a kind of beat frequency. The strange thing was that when
>  lifted the motor and gave it a jerk, it ran smoothly - - - what's going on
>  here?
>
>  Thanx for any info
>
>  Regards
>
>  Chris

Chris,

To easily set the sync phase, build the phase shifter circuit.
This way, you just start the gap motor and the coil, and
adjust the gap phase using the phase variac.  It takes just
a twirl of the knob, and you have the best position.  The
phase shifter can also help to lock up your motor, since
it sounds like it's *almost* locking.  I wrote more about that
in another post to the list.

John Freau