[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Cutting Variacs, was RE: variac amperage control??
Original poster: "Alan Yang by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <megavolt121-at-mediaone-dot-net>
when you cut your variacs, how did you get the windings off? and how much
did you have to cut out/off?
From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: variac amperage control??
Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
I cut the core on a 10A and a 30A variac. It wasn't a problem but only due
the tool used (a gravity band saw). I cut right down the center of the
area before the connecting plate (swung it out of harms way). It took about
minutes of cutting (nice slow pace) but made a clean cut. I epoxied some
plastic into the slot to keep the core nice and tight. Worked great! The 10A
core was a solid iron compount. The 30A core was made of laminations. This
spread a little at the edges as each lamination was cut (filings getting
between laminations. Tie wrapped up then did the smae epoxy thingy to them.
It's been in use about 2 1/2 years and going strong.
Tesla list wrote:
> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> In a message dated 2/11/01 10:18:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
> << "Ed Phillips wrote:
> < Cutting a
> < thin slot through the core would probably cure the saturation and turn
> < it into a linear reactor, but have never sacrificed a variac to find
> < out. Cutting through that silicon steel ribbon would be a pretty tough
> < proposition, but think some have reported it.
> Hi Ed, Un-Terry,
> Yep, I can testify to what both of you are saying. I had a 28 amp/240 volt
> variac that I was using as a current limiter for my a coil a while back
> I ended up burning the windings up on a very small area of the variac (<
> It was enough to riun the variac, though. Then I decided to take it apart
> salvage the donut core. I then thought about cutting the slot in the
> core for an extra reactor ballast. I first tried with a hacksaw (lol).
> talikng about appr. 2" x 2.5" of solid silicon steel. Then I bought a
> ting blade and installed it on my circular saw and proceeded to cut thru
> By now, it was more of the challenge of actually cutting thru the core
> actually being able to get something useful out of it. After about 10
> of a shower of sparks, I finally cut clean thru it, although the edges
> rather ragged. Anyway, the core kind of "spring" opened once the cut was
> completely thru and it left a gap about 2" wide. Also, the lamenations
> spread out pretty bad around the cut, so I don't know if it's even usuable
> now and it's pretty doggone ugly :-(
> David Rieben