Re: Preventing a REALLY expensive mistake.

Original poster: "Aleks Nowak by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Aleks-at-sn2.co.uk>

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> chris,
> just my opinions below
>
> > Over recent years I have learned that the most terrifying words you can
say
> > to a sysadmin are "Tesla Coil" (next to "What's THIS button do?"). Now
we
> > have an interesting situation.
<snip>
>or just
> > have the landlord upgrade from one to the other?
>
> no way, keep single, install triple

It would surely depend on how the 3ph comes in. If they install extra wires
and the old ones are inplace still then fine, keep both. But you will
probably find that they send only 3ph in and you have to drop it to 240
yourself

> > 2. Will a system of 10 seperate 8-10' ground rods driven vertically
around
> > the buildings exterior and all laced together for a massive ground
system be
> > an good enough protection for the computers and other electronics? Is
there
> > a better way?
>
> use this for all rf grounding.
Can't comment on this. It all depends on the surface area in contact with
the ground. Some large buried metal plates about 2m underground would do a
better job.

> > 3. What are all the steps I CAN take to ensure the safety of our
computer
> > systems? I have to assume that the computers will be operating at the
same
> > time as the coils (and other HV gear), since as we all know, all
Micro$oft
> > NT-5 systems maintain 99.999% uptime and are virtually error free.....at
> > least that's what the slicks tell us. 'Course, if you believe that I've
got
> > a great deal on some property in Florida for you, the everglades,
perhaprs
> > you've heard of them?
>
> faraday type shielding of the room, conductive paint on the walls
> sprayed over grounding buss along floors, grounded to rf ground points.

Marc, this isn't a flame, but I would not advise RF conductive paint, as
IMHO conductive paint tends to just burn up on contact with a discharge, and
would therefore need to be replaced on a regular basis (at great expense)

> > 4. I remember reading about garage coilers who have had discharges
through
> > the roof, can this happen on a solid concrete structure? (There will be
> > classrooms under the H.V.L.)
>
> i wouldn't think so?
Its is mildly possible. You should install some shielding (as another post
said, nothing more than chicken wire is really needed)

> > 5. I've heard of coils being mounted inverted from the ceiling. How is
this
> > done? Why? What are the advantages of this setup? Can it be used to make
> > near vertical discharges to the floor?
>
> i would imagine this is so items to be tested can be placed under the
> discharge point (pretty hard to mount a car on the ceiling?)
Sounds good to me

<snip>
> > Thanks guys!
>
> flame away,
> marc m.

Ok, thats my bit. Only based on what I know. If you know better (which I
know many of you do) then let us know.