Re: MOT problems/strange MOT?...Please Help!!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cwillis-at-guilford.edu>

Hi Mike,

All MOT's will have the filament winding that Hans mentioned, usually wound
outside the HV winding or sometimes under it.  But also some MOT's will
have a tapped HV secondary for making adjustments, I guess to allow the
same transformer to be used with the magnetrons in a manufacturer's high
and low power ovens.  Use a HV probe / voltmeter to find which tap is the
highest voltage if it's not labelled.

-Carl

>From what I can tell, those extra wires are for a low voltage/high current
winding that drives the filament of the magnatron.  I have a couple of MOTs
like this and I just leave the extra winding disconnected.

Hans