Re: 16" coil

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Max,
>
>         "I" would get the larges aluminum flex duct you can find.  That is 8
> inches in my area but contractors or those serious plumbing stores may be
> able to order larger sizes.  Best to go to the plumbing store with cash in
> hand and grill them for what they can get you.  Get pizza pans or maybe a
> metal covered plywood disk for the center.  The rule is, I guess, to size
> it so it "looks right".  Best rule I know of...
>
> A 15/30 is kind small for you big coil but you have plenty of room to add
> more power :-)  A 450 watt tranny like the 15/30 is supposed to put out 38
> inch streamers if everything is just right but your large coil may do
> better.  It will be interesting to see how it works.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

	General question:  It "stands to reason" that low-powered coils should
be small, and that large coils must be run at high power, but would be
interested in reading thoughts on this general topic.  I want to build a
couple of very small coils, one run by the zapper transformer which
Terry sent me, and have been thinking of quite small coils which, of
necessity, would probably run at a frequency of 1 MHz or greater.
Several years ago (Richard Hull?) described a little coil he had built,
but can't find the description.  Any comments?

Ed