Re: Coil Experiments / Old Tesla plans

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <MaverickIce00-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/27/01 10:43:06 PM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> However, it has other quite interesting
> and pretty looking experiments. Namely, "a 12 in. length of small nichrome
> or steel piano wire attached to the terminal [no topload those days], at the
> center of the wire, gives two blasting lavender coloured rings of electrical
> fireworks."

Hi Simon,

Although I don't have an operational Tesla Coil (yet), I have attempted this
experiment with a 7.5/30 NST and small diameter (18 gauge) galvanized steel
wire. I just form the wire so that one terminal is directly below the other
and draw out the arc to about 1.5" (3.81 cm). After a while the arc takes on
a nice deep orange color and the upper terminal glows brightly then emits a
continuous shower of sparks, similar to the "sparklers" sold at fireworks
stands. This is a pretty difficult task however, because slight air currents
will cause the arc to jump to a different point on the wire and it will cool
down. After the shower of sparks, also, the wire melts and becomes a nice
little ball hanging off the end of the wire, which has to be removed or the
sparks won't resume. I have always stopped this little experiment before the
sparks become a fire hazard (when they become too numerous or jump too close
to flammable stuff), but I think it would be interesting what effect the
sparks would have if it were allowed to go on for longer. I'll try to rig up
some fire-proof area in my garage or outside on the RV pad and try this
little experiment, It just snowed though, so i'll most likely just do it in
the garage. I believe the "electrical pinwheel" you refer to is called an Ion
Motor, and a video of one can be found at Sam Barros' Powerlabs in the
Flyback Transformer section -at-

http://www.powerlabs-dot-org/

Regards,

Josh Hunsaker
Denver, Colorado
MaverickIce00-at-aol-dot-com (Changing to Arc Starter 3-at-aol-dot-com soon...)

PS - Sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having with your TC, I
hope it works out for you.