Re: CW coil top terminals?

In a message dated 1/28/01 5:59:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Terry,

I'd say it depends on the effect you want.  I always put a sharp
point on top of my tube coils and let the sparks emit from it.
If the sparks emit from a small ball, they will be thicker and
raspier (using raw AC), but probably no longer.  The ball seems
to cause kickback into the tube and components.

I find that for a 20" spark, I gain about one extra inch if I use a small
toroid (6" overall), on top of the coil.  But I then install a sharp
steel point that extends about 3" above the toroid at the center
and points upwards.  The sparks emit from this point or electrode.

If your coil is running on DC, then the tungsten is a good idea
for handling the high current.  I've never built a solid state CW
coil, so I don't know quite how they compare with tube coils
regarding toroid behavior, needs, etc.

John Freau