Re: hamfests, rotors, protection

Fox,

If you tell us the physical size of the motor, we may be able to
give some idea if it's 1/3rd HP ,  1/30 HP, etc.  IT may be a good
idea to give the weight of the motor too.  Also is it old (black casting),
or newer (grey formed metal).  Does it have a brand name on it?
Teletype, robbins and myers, GE, etc.  Does it say anything else,
such as the Amperage it draws?  That would be a clue to the HP.
Does it say hysteresis on it?  If so, it will never lock up in the
same position making it inconvenient for a sync gap.  All the
900 rpm sync motors I've seen were hysteresis types, and they
were multi-speed.  The size of the rotor depends on the HP,
which we don't know yet.  But you'll need 8 spinning electrodes,
and two fixed electrodes to get 120 bps.  And the mechanical
dwell time will be large, unless you have the power to spin
a large rotor.  Mechanical dwell probably won't matter at
120 bps though.  Narrow electrodes helps that too.

John Freau