Re: rotary gaps +- problems

Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

Hi Bob,

If that is a DC (universal) motor with brushes,  then I am not sure that
you need to use a start capacitor with it.  Start capacitors are normally
used with AC squirrel cage induction motors.

You should be able to identify the connections to the field (stator)
winding,  and the connections which go to the armature winding via the
commutator.

These can be connected in parallel,  series or seperately driven depending
on what the motor designer had for breakfast.  (Actually gives different

I would start by connecting the two windings in series.  It should run
smoothest and coolest from a DC supply,  but may run OK from rectified
AC or even directly from a variac.  This type of motor can also be well
behaved when a light dimmer is used for speed control.

The following page has some info that may be useful:
	http://www.4qd.co.uk/faq/bmnc2.html
Scroll down to the bit about Series and Shunt wound motors.

I'm sure there must be others on this list using similar motors so it will
be interesting to see what connections they recommend.

							Cheers,

							-Richie,
On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "bob golding by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>