Re: bleeding caps

Hi Matt,

I try and get caps to bleed down in 2 to 10 seconds.  That is fast enough
to be safe but does not load the coil down or waste power.  The time it
takes for a cap to drain is:

t = 5 x R x C

So a 10M resistor and a 0.02uF cap will drain down in 1 second.

If we shoot for 5 seconds we get:

5 = 5 x R x 0.02e-6  so R = 50Meg.  You also need that resistor to take 15kV.

The 1/2 watt 10Meg resistors take 2kV.  So one could use two strings of 10
resistors (or one string for a 10 second drain time) on each cap.  Since
the resistors only cost $0.01 each it is no big deal to use a lot of them.
Of corse, other high voltage resistors would work to if you can find them.
I get the 10Meg ones buy the thousands so if you need any let me know.

Cheers,

	Terry