Re: Secondary coil Winding: was- tesla coil

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

i'm wondering if anyone has tried one of those little BBQ spit units? i
never used the one that came with my grill, but i would imagine they
turn slow and have some torque?
marc

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

> Hi all,
>
>   my winding jig is a small AC gearhead motor I got for $7 at a flea market.
> It came out of a good-sized motorized display.  It's 32.1:1, the motor is
> 1800 RPM, so it's okay speed.  I mounted it to a scrap of wood by cutting a
> hole for the shaft and drilling 4 small holes for the motor case bolts (just
> long enough to get some nuts and washers on).   The board I screwed to a
> scrap of 2x4, and clamped to my lathe, using the tailstock of the lathe for
> freewheeling end.  You can do it without the lathe, though at ~40RPM or so
> it takes awhile to wind a coil.
>
>   The advantage is *power!*  That gearhead motor has the raw grunt to let me
> keep a high amount of tension on the wire.  I keep the tape strips handy
> too.
>
>  Treadmills, trash kid's toys (the powerwheels toys), etc are good sources
> for motors suitable for winding machines.  (I've seen 3-4 treadmills being
> thrown out so far this year).  Couldn't get there before the trashman
> though. :(  A motor, combined with some moderate work can yield a great
> machine.  I only planned to use mine once, but it works so well I'll
> continue using it (what other use do I have for a 40rpm motor?!!)

                      Shad