Ryan's Coil = DOA :(

Original poster: "Ryan Ries by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <spud-at-wf-dot-net>

	10,000 watts of power, but I can't harness any of it.  I did the math, I
redid the math.  Tapping the primary coil at turn 5 gave almost the exact
same frequency as the secondary coil w/ toroid.  I turned it on, and
nothing happened but the brilliant spark of the spark gap.  I turned it
off, and walked up to the coil for a closer look, when I started smelling
burnt PVC.  My 1" thick, 9" diameter secondary has burned a nice 32"
channel all the way down the length of the winding on the inside of the
form.  It was in tune, I had the proper capacitance, why wouldn't it
generate any streamers?  Anything at all?  And now the secondary is toast,
and I have no magnet wire or money. :-(  I guess my coil will sit in the
garage collecting dust for a few more months (or maybe longer, since I'll
be graduating this year.)

	-- Ryan Ries