RE: Chaotic Resonance(Solid State Coilers)

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Darren -

I agree my post was incorrect and this is what happens when I give a short
fast answer. However, allow me to give it another try. You have already done
an excellent job of explaining RMS in your post so I will use another
approach.

When comparing AC and DC circuits it is an advantage to have the voltages
and currents numerically equal. This can be done by using RMS voltages and
currents for the AC circuits. RMS voltages and currents in AC circuits are
effective voltages and currents and the equivalent of voltages and currents
in DC circuits. When using OHM's Law for resistive circuits both the AC RMS
and DC voltages and currents will then have the same values.

AC voltmeters and ammeters are designed to read in RMS or effective values.
This means the AC meters will read the same as DC meters with the same
resistive circuit. However, the AC meters will be limited to the low Utility
frequencies for good accuracy.

Oscilloscopes show instantaneous values including the peak values of
voltages and currents. RMS voltages and currents are found by multiplying
the peak value of the sine curves by an RMS constant. This constant varies
depending on the waveshape. For a sine wave the RMS constant is 0.707 and
for a triangular wave shape it is 0.578 .

Power in both AC and DC resistive circuits can use the same equations
provided you use RMS volts and currents for the AC circuits.

    Pavg = V x I
    Pavg = I^2 x R
    Pavg = V^2/R

An electromagnetic wattmeter that is calibrated for average power can be
used for AC or DC circuits. Power factor is not a factor with resistive only
circuits. Do not confuse this meter with the typical watthour meter that is
used for your house which measures energy not power.

John Couture