Re: Power factor correction yes, but where?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Matt,

Excellent question! Unlike most transformers, an NST, MOT, or OBIT is
intentionally designed to introduce a large amount of leakage
inductance, since it's this leakage inductance that limits the short
circuit current so that the transformer can operate for long periods
with the secondary virtually short circuited.

Now most iron-core transformers are designed to have very low leakage
inductance. This is done so that the secondary voltage won't vary much
as you change the amount of current loading. Transformers designed to
have low leakage inductance include distribution, plate, filament and
variable (Variac) transformers. As a result, your variac adds only a
little bit of inductance when compared to that of the NST.

But wait... there's more...
Your variac can actually be viewed as a transformer with a variable
turns ratio. And, any tightly coupled transformer will "transform" the
impedance from the secondary to the primary side as a function of the
turns ratio squared. So, if were to put PFC's on the incoming side of
the variac, you'd likely under compensate at one variac setting, and
overcompensate at another setting.

That's why you want to place your PFC's directly across the NST's
primaries (i.e., the output side of the variac) and not on the mains
side.

Hope this helped!

-- Bert --
--