AMP meter solutions

Original poster: "James T by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jamest2000-at-att-dot-net>

Hi all,
 I have been fooling around with a current ratio transformer to monitor
current in my controller.  It is a 60/5 ratio. I need to measure up to
50 to 60 amps.  I can get reasonable readings using a couple of methods
but they both have the same prob. The response is not linear. However I
am sure the thing should be quite linear. There was an article in
Circuit Cellar Ink a few years ago that said so, and showed a method to
use them.
 Rather than telling you what I think I'm doing wrong, I am hoping
someone can just tell me how to do it right!
 I'm not married to this though. Any cheap, analog, metering will do.
Does anybody really like to use those 50amp/50mvolt shunts? I can't seem
to find an analog meter it the right range to use a shunt. A local
surplus house has 50 amp shunts for 12 bucks, but not meters.
 What are you guys doing? Any suggestions? BTW I can't seem to find a
thing on the net about current ratio transformers except sale catalogs.
Thanks for any help.
 James T