Re: RF grounding without rod pounding?

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bill Parn by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <parn-at-starpower-dot-net>

> I have heard pouring salt around you ground rod and watering it will
> sometimes help it, at a minimum water it well.

	Yep.  There are a variety of techniques for 'improving' grounds.
	Adding largish quantities of various chemicals is one of them.
	(The influence of these on groudn water supplies, etc. is
	Another Matter....).  If a ground is to be dug in, burying lots
	of charcoal is reccomended.  I believe the various water assisted
	methods of implanting (as opposed to watering an existing ground)
	run the risk of 'loosening' the soil contact, reducing conductivity.
	I've not tested comapratively, tho...

>  I am wondering if connecting your RF ground to the main water pipe might
> shake your neighbors house wiring if someone else has used that pipe as
> ground.

	There is some risk of that.  Consider what happened to Tesla in
	Colorado Springs...

> I try to keep the rf ground out my house wiring, I used to have some
> crackling in wall outlets before I switched over to a seperate independent
>ground on the highfrequency, high voltage side of the TC.  I have a
> secondary ground, independent of the GFI ground as well as the house
>ground.  I liked the fact that I had some resistance between the grounds.
>That way less current would flow between them.

	Yep.

	Some one mentioned ground rods and leads resonating.  This
	can happen.  (There is the allegedly tru story of the Ham operator
	who rigged the ground to the septic system.  And discovered the
	hard way that 'the throne' was 1/4 wave (voltage peak) away from
	his transmitter on one freq in use...

	That having been said:
	Tesal Coil freqs tend to be lower (say 100KHz and down) so the
	ground connections are likely to be too electrically short to
	resonate...

	best
	dwp