Re: More destroyed NST's How do I remove stubborn tar?

Original poster: "Garry F. by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Lemme see ...

The first attempt was an Allanson 9/30 I dunno the model number. This one
had stubborn tar on the bottom and instead of coming loose, from the tar the
first layer of paper adhered to the tar. The wire from the secondary
appeared to be adhered to the paper so when the paper finally tore away it
streached the wires a good eighth of an inch without breaking a single
strand!! I slipped a square of poly underneath and slathered it in silicone
seal. This NST is still running.

The second attempt was an old 12/30 Franceformer. This had a large metal PFC
in the corner. I don't remember which one but it also was double walled at
the corners.

After depotting, I discovered a primary winding that was melted together
from some short.

The secondary windings seem to be good and I offer them to anyone who wants
them.

The third attempt was a Jefferson (Magnatek(sp?) 12/60 This one had no tar
between the secondary and the grounded case which was only an eighth of an
inch away! Of course, this unit failed immediately upon hooking to the TC.
The tar is really hard in this one. Most of it is still hard at 300
degrees!! It appears to be that siliconized tar. It was severely cracked so
badly I think I removed more from just prying between the cracks than I did
on heating.

The fourth attempt was an Allanson 12/60 and it ran for about four days
after I depotted it, the secondary shot a bolt out of the middle and ripped
through the insulating plastic sheet and struck the core and caught fire.

The fifth attempt was another Allanson. This had the tough tar that seems to
be impervious to disolvment and wore through the paper with a toothbrush
trying to remove tar.

I have been soaking this last one since last Friday or Monday.

Hmm, I guess I had my count wrong on the failures. I tried 5 atempts. one
successful, one turned out to be doa.

Now from what I hear, they are all good except one because someone has told
me that I could destroy up to ten layers and it would still be good.