Re: NST Shunt Bars

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> Hello all,
>
> I have seen the term "Shunt Bars" mentioned several times by people
> disassembling NST. Can some one explain what they are and what their purpose
> is?
>
> Thank you.  Chuck

Hi Chuck...

NST shunts are a bundle of laminate steel plates placed between the
secondary and primary coils to reduce the
amount of magnetic flow thru the EI core . They are basically magnetic
by-passes in the core assy of the
transformer. ( this is how most cheap welding machines work). By inserting
a "brick" of laminates between the
primary and secondary coils the magnetic field is diverted thru these
bricks and reduces the available flux to the
secondary coils thus reducing the amount of amperage the secondaries can
produce. ( this in effect also reduces the
amount of amperage the primary will draw from the wall plug) ...

hope this helps    ( i know what i wrote but sometimes i even dont
understand it :)  )

Scot D