Re: getting three phase power

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I've always wanted to build an array of coils (sort of like a super super
twin) with a central coil that arcs in turn to a series of coils around the
edge, so you'd get a rotating spark.  If you've read "Rendezvous with Rama"
by A.C.Clarke, you know what I mean.

Driving a series of conventional coils arranged property from three phase
might be a good way to do this.

(of course, so would driving a bunch of solid state drivers or ignition coil
based systems....)

Tabletop sized would use igntion coils (extending on the GMHEICxxx  record
in a new and novel way)

However, a big table top using NST sized coils, say, 3" x 15" secondaries,
might be more impressive...

(or if you had a pile of tubes, you might do it with some staccato drive on
VTTCs....)

A rotary spark gap fed from DC might also be used to drive them in sequence
instead of three phase power and static gaps.  Then, the spark would rotate
at the same rate as the rotary gap. Make yourself a very nifty (and noisy)
clock!!

> > Can anyone give me ONE good reason why you would need/want to power a
Tesla