RE: Geek Pig! :)

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi Chris,

> Finally The Geek Group has a pig-sty :)

Congratulations

> We weren't planning on having a pig for months, we don't have a coil big
> enough to justify it (6" dia Sam is our biggest). But a chance at
> a wild pig
> is just too much to pass up.

I have used a pig to power a 2 3/4 inch dia. coil before, and normally is it
for my four inch coil.

> We also got 3 large 12kV lightning arrestors (they're about 6"dia and 14"
> tall) and 2 small ones (the usual ones, about 3"dia and 10"
> long), plus some
> HV switchgear for our Project Thumper and the (as yet unnamed) Marx bank.
>
> We have a 10kVA 1-eared pig, 3 output terminals sitting in Geek-0
> right now
> :)
>
> Is there a way to convert this to a 2-eared pig? Removeing the
> top, cutting
> a hole, and installing an insulator is ok, I just need to know
> what wire to
> move there.

I suppose you could, but why? There should be a diagram on the nameplate.

>Is the case the other HV leg?

Yes.

>If so would that make this
> basically 1/2 of a really big NST basically?

Yes.

What is the high voltage rating? 7.2? 14.4? switched? other?

> There are 3 LV connections, the center with a strap to the case. I'm
> assumeing this is fed 110 - G - 110 from a 220 feed (like a dryer).

Yes. Put 240V into the outer two bushings, with adequate current limiting of
course, and remove the strap from the center bushing. Be sure to check the
LV windings with an Ohmmeter after removing the strap to make sure there is
no continuity to the case. Leave the center terminal N.C.. To use the single
bushing pig with a Tesla coil, connect the case to RF ground, also the
inside turn of the primary to RF ground. The high voltage output from the
bushing to one end of the tank cap, the other end of the cap to the outer
tap on the primary coil. The spark gap of course connects between the high
voltage bushing to tank cap connection and ground.

ASCII ART follows, use fixed width font (courier) to view:

                        Cap
   *------------*--------||------*
  pig           0                3
  HV     spark     gap           3 TC pri.
  out           0                3

               ===
                - RF ground

Good luck,