RE: Microsim and filter design

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi Duncan,

I plugged the schematic from your transients1.gif into Microsim using the
values you suggested. It seemed to work OK, however I was not sure what I
was looking for, that is in relation to a Tesla coil, so I got a copy of
Terry's simulation of a NST powered Tesla coil
 http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/Newcoil.sch ) which is a very
complete model and ran simulations of the filter voltage (across each side
to ground), output voltage (toroid), and streamer current. I then
substituted the filter you suggested and repeated the simulations both with
and without the damping resistor. Results can be found at
www.corridor-dot-net/deano/NewFiltr.zip . (336KB)

This seems to work OK in the simulator, someone should try this on a real
coil.

later
deano

> Hi Folks!
>
> I've recently unearthed a potentially (pardon the pun) very
> useful circuit for filter application.  I've passed the
> details to Terry off list and his response I have put below.
> The file referred to, transients.zip, which is around 65k,
> should appear shortly at
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/transients.zip
>
> This circuit promises to perform very well with much less
> power consumed than the conventional filters we have been
> using up to now.  For those who relate to this, the file
> includes a theoretical derivation (Heaviside's operational
> calculus) of its operation.  I'd be grateful if those of you
> with microsim experience would give this filter circuit the
> once-over (or more, depending if it rings ;-)  I'd suggest
> values of 20mH for "little L", 160mH for L, 1nF for C and
> 6,9k for R.
>
> Thanks.
> Dunckx
Snip