Re: Ross-O's VTTC update

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Ross!

Date: 22 January 2001 15:28
Subject: Ross-O's VTTC update

>Original poster: "Ross Overstreet by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ross-o-at-mindspring-dot-com>

<snip>

>Of particular interest is:
>(1) 3 new pics of the coil in action.  Be sure and look at
"helix_arc.jpg".

Yes, very!  I recall noticing at the 1999 Corby Teslathon
that Alan Sharp's big coil (spark driven) put out streamers
which showed a very languorous (now there's a great word if
it's spelled correctly:-) long period corkscrew behaviour as
they waved around in mid-air, though I vaguely recall the
corkscrewing was intermittent.  The "wavelength" was around
six inches to a couple of feet at a guess (it's a while ago
now) but I didn't comment at the time, I merely thought it
cute, but perhaps there's a connection.  Maybe even all
coils can do it.  Perhaps I need to get mine up and running
again and take a good long look (presently in bits awaiting
components!)  The "wavelength" with your cw coil is
evidently a lot shorter.  Maybe it's to do with pulse
repetition rates or break rates. Is your coil pulsed at
anything other than 60/120Hz?

Dunckx