Re: triggered spark gap in a vacuum?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

>  Hi all!
snip---

>   I don't like the idea of irraidating myself, nor having to explain to the
> others in my house exactly *why* a spark gap has to be wrapped in lead
> blankets :/  The idea of growing any more toes isn't too hot either ;)  I'm
> not paranoid about getting a dose of x-rays, but want to be informed as to
> what I'm tinkering with.

I went to the sources, "Lecture Brfore the New York Academy of Sciences-
April 6, 1987" N. Tesla, " The Fundamentals of X-Ray and Radium Physics" 4th
ed. (1967) by J. Selman, MD, and D.A.Rinehart's "Roentgenographic
Technique",(1943) . All seem to concur that Aluminum foil or mesh as little
as 1 mm thick and a few centimeters of free air space should provide adequate
shielding for soft X-rays (below 35 kV). A way to verify this might be to
place a few pieces of photographic film in opaque, thin plastic or cardboard
containers at about 6" - 12" from your Al foil-shielded gap, run it for
several minutes from a distance, and develop the film. A blank film means no
problem, an exposed film means oops.

Matt D.